An introduction to Journalism where you can be creative and have your voice heard.
- Suitable for all – improve your writing skills in a supportive environment alongside students from any degree subject
- Develop your skills – to scrutinise, interrogate and report on the issues that really matter
- Gain an insight – into the world of journalism and build a professional multimedia portfolio
- Publishing – the content you create will be pitched to editors and considered for online and print publication by aAh! Magazine and The Northern Quota
- Commitment – workshops and events will take place on campus on Mon, Tue and Wed 10am-1pm 26 May – 19 June with a showcase day on 19 June
The rapidly changing digital media and creative industries offer career opportunities in a wide range of sectors including print journalism, digital publishing and editing, broadcasting, researching, media development, freelance writing, specialist journalism, working for news agencies, public relations departments and public sector press departments. The skill of being able to express your ideas and opinions in an appealing way will be valuable for a career in any area.
This Third Term activity will give you a glimpse into the industry and the opportunity to explore Multimedia Journalism:
- Develop your skills through workshops in areas such as Online Publishing, News Writing, Interview Skills, Editorial Skills, Podcasting and Live Reporting
- Learn from experienced journalists and editors with many years practical experience and excellent links to major media players including newspapers, TV companies, radio stations and digital publishers in Manchester and beyond
- Produce a multimedia portfolio including a news article, feature and review
- Showcase your pieces to industry experts and across the university at the showcase day on 19 June