Become a global citizen and develop your intercultural skills by experiencing academic life in another country.
- You can do this – study alongside students from different academic backgrounds from across the world
- Learn something new – learn Chinese language and culture, one of the Engineering and Computing programmes, or a bit of both
- Live somewhere new – choose to experience life in Beijing or Nanjing
- Develop your independence – plan for your life abroad with a dedicated support team
- Find a new you – develop your resilience and the value of different cultures
Important: In order to enable visa applications to be complete, the deadline for this activity is earlier than other. You must apply by 23 February 2020.
The Discover China programme provides you with the opportunity to experience living and studying at a prestigious partner university for two or four weeks. You can choose to learn about Chinese Language and Culture, sign-up to one of the science summer schools or do a little bit of both.
This activity is co-funded by the British Council, Manchester Metropolitan University, and our partner universities in China to enable you to benefit from studying abroad with:
- Free tuition
- Free campus accommodation (shared room)
- Free university travel insurance
- £1000 Third Term travel scholarship
Applying For This Experience
We anticipate that demand for the limited places for this opportunity will be high. It is therefore important that you research this experience well and submit a strong expression of interest in term for the early deadline of the 23rd February As with any Third Term activity, our decisions will be based on your motivation to engage with this activity, and how you anticipate it will affect your future. We may also consider your engagement with your degree.
When you enter your expression of interest, you will be asked to indicate your preference for a particular group. These relate to the destination you would like to travel to, and the course you would like to study whilst you are there. Your choices are as follows:
- Group A: 15th June – 26th June 2020 at Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics. Two week Language and Culture Programme, including beginners Mandarin, Chinese history, martial arts, cuisine and more. Features a tour of Nanjing, industry visit to a local city, and traditional Chinese calligraphy experience.
- Group B: 15th June – 11th July at Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics. Four week Language, Culture and Engineering Training programme, including the programme for Group A PLUS a two-week Engineering training programme, featuring digitised design and manufacturing, industrial robot operating, and design and control of complex mechanisms
- Group C: July 5th to August 1st at Beijing Institute of Technology focused on Chinese Language and Culture
- Group D: July 5th to August 1st at Beijing Institute of Technology focused on Intelligent Vehicles and Electrical Vehicles (Engineering)
- Group E: July 5th to August 1st at Beijing Institute of Technology focused on Big Data Analysis
- Group F: July 5th to August 1st at Beijing Institute of Technology focused on the 5G System, it’s Key Technologies and Applications
As these opportunities are funded and designed for international students, our partner universities are unable to consider applications from Chinese citizens.
These activities are hosted at one of two partner institutions, more information on these is provided below
Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Groups A+B)
Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics is one of China’s premier learning and research institutions with academic strengths in Engineering as well as integrated Science, Economics and Management, and Arts and Literature subjects.
Beijing Institute of Technology (Groups C,D,E,F)
Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT) is one of China’s most prestigious Engineering universities. In the 2018 QS University World Ranking, BIT ranked 389th in the world and the top-10 in Science and Engineering in China. BIT also offers courses in Management and Humanities, including the teaching of Chinese language and culture.
The 4-week BIT Summer Programme will provide you with the opportunity to experience Chinese Engineering or Language study and campus life at a top university in China.
Course features include:
- Cultural visits to local landmarks, such as the Great Wall, the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace
- Science and Engineering programmes include lectures, industry visits, lab practice and Chinese language learning