Develop your Digital Design thinking and experience working with a digital team in a Government Department.
- Suitable for all – improve your skills in a supportive environment alongside students from any degree subject
- Step outside campus – with online learning, and then work at The Department for Education’s office in central Manchester
- Real-world Learning – learn the concept of user-centred digital design and help to solve a real problem
- Learn how to pitch – develop your ideas in teams before presenting to a panel including the DfE Senior Digital Team.
- Awards – gain external recognition in the form of a Bronze iDEA Award
- Commitment – you will need to be available in central Manchester from 8 – 19 June
Manchester has one of the most vibrant digital sectors in Europe, it is creating a strong employment market, and employers are interested in students from all disciplines – the ability to think creatively and work collaboratively is sometimes more important than specific degrees in creative subjects. The Government departments based in Manchester are no exception. They needs teams from all degree backgrounds to work together to research and design solutions to the problems faced by our society.
This Third Term activity enables you to experience working in a government department (brilliant for your CV) as well as learning digital design skills from industry experts and learning how to how to “pitch” the idea you develop. These skills put you in great stead to work in a digital role but all industries need the types of skills you will develop:
- Develop transferable skills through online learning, which can be accessed according to your availability (15 hours of self-study), completed before the beginning of June
- Spend two weeks at The Department for Education in Manchester, learning a range of user-centred digital design skills and developing your ideas in a team from across the university
- Your 2 week placement with the Department for Education will be from 8 June to 18 June
- Present your idea to a panel including Senior Digital Team representatives from the DfE on the 19th of June